The very first sentence in our brand manifesto is “Experience is everything.” It’s on the front page of our website, written on slides throughout company decks, hashtagged in every social media post and repeated again (and again) during business calls.
At Tallwave, the experiences we create and deliver aren’t just for our clients and their customers – they’re for our employees (or our first customers), as well. You see, we believe it’s all interconnected: The culture we provide for our employees directly impacts the way they do their jobs, the dedication they give to their work and the overall fulfilment they feel in their lives. No matter the project, we always approach our work through a holistic lens that puts human needs first, and business needs second.
On LinkedIn: Tallwavers reveal what they were most proud of in 2020
To ensure we’re on the right track of living up to the title of Best Place to Work, we asked our employees to share why they take pride in being a Tallwaver.
Here’s what they said:
- Jimmy Walker, Sales Executive: “Tallwave is a purpose disguised as a company that’s built around intrinsic core values of integrity, belief, passion, authenticity, transparency, camaraderie, and trust… that has the most indelible group of people who always looks out for each other and share the same dedicated culture, value, ethics, mission and vision. There’s not a single element that can be matched and I’m just ecstatic to love what I do and who I’m surrounded by every single day. I’m living out my dream.”
- Kristen Laird, Project Manager: “Tallwave’s culture is top-notch. Employees that work at Tallwave are not only insanely smart and talented, they’re also fun people to be around. Triple threat.”
- Brendan McInerney, Former Paid Media Team Manager: “When I first came to Tallwave, I was asked how I feel about ‘change’. Being a commonly asked question, I, of course, said I was open to it. But aside from the canned response, I was actually deeply motivated by it. And it did not take me long to realize that the underlying question was really, ‘How do you feel about being a driver of change and growing the organization?’ To me, Tallwave is a place where we are all empowered to come up with a goal/idea, and relentlessly pursue it.”
- Hillary Low, HR Manager: “I can let my freak flag fly! I grew up with a background in (musical) theatre and in a fairly artistic family. Other companies seem to value you only as far as your work ethic, but Tallwave values the whole individual. I am free to be me and ‘me’ is appreciated.”
- Martha Schulzinger, Senior Project Manager: “Tallwave embodies a growth mindset mentality. It is so awesome to work for a place where you are encouraged to try things, make mistakes, learn from them, and then share your learnings with your peers. I’m sure many of us have experienced working at organizations that claim they want employees to learn and grow, only to find out later that is not exactly true. Instead, you have to do things a certain way and it’s not made clear as to why. As a result of being a growth mindset company, I feel like I’m growing and learning leaps and bounds since I’ve started. It’s invigorating!”
- Lauren Franklin, Paid Media Coordinator: “I started working at Tallwave in the middle of the pandemic. I haven’t had a chance to work with anyone in person yet, but what I love about Tallwave is how much they care about their employees. It was a weird time to start a new job, but I haven’t felt disconnected from Tallwave, at all. Instead, I feel like I have been a part of the Tallwave team for a long time.”
- Chelsey Gloetzner, Senior Product Designer: “Tallwave is a great place to work because there is a proactive culture of respect. Across the company, teammates are equally respected, appreciated, and valued, regardless of experience, role, or responsibility.”
- Jessica Hickam, Senior Content Strategist: “Everyone on the team truly cares about both the work we do and the community we have built. I am grateful every day that I get to create with this innovative, dynamic, passionate group of people.”
- Alexis Reed, Project Coordinator: “I’ve only been with Tallwave for a couple of months, but it’s already been a really great place to work! Being on-boarded remotely, during a pandemic, was challenging and isolating, but the whole team at Tallwave made me feel welcome and included. I received private messages welcoming me to the company and inciting great conversations. I always feel comfortable messaging someone to ask for help, even if I’ve never spoken to them. I have particularly enjoyed participating in company ‘events’ like the virtual Thanksgiving talent show and the virtual cooking class! I really appreciate the lengths Tallwave has gone to to keep everyone connected.”
Also read: Solving For the Lack of Diversity in CX
The people who make up Tallwave are just as great – actually, greater – than the company itself. They are the ones who breathe life into our company core values:
- Maverick attitude: A maverick embraces an unconventional way of thinking and takes a few calculated risks to find the best outcome for each other and our clients.
- Relentless pursuit: Tallwavers never stop being curious. It’s this curiosity that leads us to learn, grow, and persevere through even the toughest challenges.
- Selfless teamwork: None of us are in this race alone. We know combining our efforts leads to better work. And in the end, we celebrate the efforts and contributions made by all.
- Thoughtful rigor: We solve difficult problems with thoughtfulness by examining every angle. We believe details matter and take pride in our work.
But like anything else pertaining to personal or professional development, you can’t set and forget the employee experience (EX). What do our Leadership and People & Culture teams do to ensure we continually evolve? They send out anonymous surveys to create a space for real and honest feedback; invest time and money into offering self- and professional-development opportunities; emphasize the importance of exercising vulnerability and empathy in everything we do; regularly check in with employees directly to gauge first-hand just how happy and healthy they are; and encourage giving credit whenever credit is due (our #tallwaveSWAGGER basecamp channel is always full of shout outs). We love our team and what we’re continuing to build. Think you’d be a great fit?
Learn more about our culture and open positions here.